Last minute addition to Terms page: Liminal Space/Period: the time around twilight or dawn, as well the period between the two for ritual activities.
Hail heroes and friends, dreamers and villains,
It’s been a hell of a half a year, has it not? That’s how long it’s been since our last major patch, and in the meantime you all have asked a ton of questions and poked at our edges enough that we have enough clarifications for a mini patch. The biggest lift on this one was an invisible one, as we used the downtime on the site to implement a new event system as our previous system had been sunsetted by the provider and was doing odd things… like allowing multi-booking of beds by different users. In addition- this patch allowed for us to pull some things out of our code of conduct that were being overlooked (such as our Romance and Safety call) and that we wanted to shine some extra light on.
By the way- our code of conduct can be found here: https://ageofasheslarp.com/code-of-conduct/ Please make sure to sign if you haven’t yet, or just sign it again for good measure! It is required for play.
If you haven’t checked them in awhile I recommend looking at our Notable page and our Stories and Lore, as there have been some player changes, as well as the Totem of Guile page. Due to successful player quests, we have a new ritual listed there! And if you have yet to send your notable in, please do so with an image so we can add you to the site as well.
For some logistic notes: we’ll be taking sleeping arrangements live next Monday at 5pm, and we’ll be powering through current tickets and requests. We will also be closing our event feedback form in the next two days (so Thursday evening) in order to fully process XP, glory, and other information ahead of game so get those in if you haven’t yet!
Thank you all for your energy, your community spirit, and your magicks both mundane and awe-inspiring- I continue to be in awe of all of you.
Revisions on site since last patch:
- https://ageofasheslarp.com/mages/ Spells were updated to use wyrd traits, rather than outdated materials
- https://ageofasheslarp.com/letters/ error in yellow and red zone pricing was corrected, so that purchasing paper and ink was 5 salt more than using your own supplies
- https://ageofasheslarp.com/lamentian/ Dedicate shrine to the lash was corrected to use soft wood rather than outdated “handles”
- https://ageofasheslarp.com/kemat-tharos-aegos/ “feathers from a bird corpse” was changed to “parts of a bird corpse”
- https://ageofasheslarp.com/hooded-flame/ “corpse of a raven” was changed to “corpse of a bird”
- https://ageofasheslarp.com/glory/ clarified paladins and rangers can choose to buy 1 level 1 gift or evocation of their choice, not that it is included.
- https://ageofasheslarp.com/glimmering-lady/ under “Luck of the Gatherer” added “talk to staff to specially turn in your items.”
- https://ageofasheslarp.com/character-creation/ hunting and farming changed to Foraging.
- https://ageofasheslarp.com/membership-registration/ added
- New players added to https://ageofasheslarp.com/notable/
- added “Any one with an active membership who has attended a market in the last six months may submit an individual downtime.
- Fixed error in size of remote zone (100 rather than 50).
- Changed organization badge information to match schematics page, using 1 soft iron, fibres, or soft wood and removing uncommon material
- Changed banner information to match schematics page
- Added “or individual” to Masterwork downtime to allow for masterwork art pieces
- https://ageofasheslarp.com/perks-and-flaws/ added “You may also choose to sub six rare or wyrd materials for one relevant crafted material, for a total of three crafted items.” to Sponsored by the Guild/Cult
- Changes in canon added to https://ageofasheslarp.com/stories-and-lore/
- https://ageofasheslarp.com/symbols/ duplicate symbol files fixed
- https://ageofasheslarp.com/tarrantists/ clarified tagging by staff should include a staff signature and that transgressions should be elevated by staff as well
- https://ageofasheslarp.com/the-rites-of-the-male-face/ Veal changed to an animal corpse
Revisions on this patch:
- New event tickets plugin installed and old events ported over to allow for better stock management when multiple people are on the site at the same time
- Copied information on sex system out of the code of conduct and into its own page, https://ageofasheslarp.com/romance/
- Materials and Schematics page have been updated with approximate salt costs, and have the following text added to them:
- Age of Ashes is primarily based in a barter economy with no central fiduciary or governing body. As such, salt costs listed here are always approximate and estimated as they are based on the average availability of resources for traders in the Cenotaph region- and individual trader needs may change based on desire for certain products, current availability of resources released in gathering, or current storylines. Approximate salt costs in Cenotaph tend to be lower than starting character costs due to the higher availability of resources in the region.
- Pdf has been updated
- Gambeson was updated to be an outfit rather than armor, to take 6 Linen, 2 Heavy Leather, 3 Strap and to read: Long sleeved torso and arm outfit worn in conjunction with medium or heavy armor. When worn under other armor offers 1 armor call on the limb or torso where the armor doesn’t cover but the gambeson does. Each hit location functions separately and if the armor above the gambeson on a particular hit location is sundered or used up the gambeson in that body area is used up as well.
- Writing kit has been updated to read: Used to write in-character documents in place of paper and ink wherever those may be used. A “use” consists of a several page document, within limits. Has 10 uses before it must be refilled.
- Added Writing Kit – Refill. Same mechanics as writing kit, but takes 2 sheaf of paper, 1 ink, and 1 empty writing kit.
- Sheaf of Paper added to tailoring
- Sheaf of Paper updated to read: Used to write in-character documents , typically used in conjunction with ink. May make a full document consisting of several pages, within limits.
- Ink quantity updated to 5, updated to read: Used to write in-character text and documents, typically used in conjunction with paper. May make a full document consisting of several pages within limits.
- Other Crafting updated and cleaned up
- Arm and leg armor clarified to apply to a single arm or leg, not both
- Edited to match July patch in farming/hunting combination
- Additional materials added
- Curious walking stick changed from “Wooden box that can only be opened if one sanguine essence from a character with the nemien culture is spilled upon it” to “Wooden stick with a box that can only be opened if one sanguine essence from a character with the nemien culture is spilled upon it”
- Under Resolve -1 changed from “You suffer the meek state and cannot use any social defenses” to “You cannot use any social defenses.”
- Added Mild Torso Maim: Injured Liver from the combat page to this page as well: A fateful stab or chop has caused serious injury to your liver. All poisons or negative potion effects are treated as one level higher.
- Wash Your Luck ritual added to site after successful player quest
- Wash Your Luck
Protect yourself from consequences
Focus – The Shrine of Guile is approached by the target, followed by the Cultist. If the Cultist is the target, they may approach alone.
Offering – The target places 3 Different Herbs with the Purgative property on the shrine in a vessel like a bowl, mortar, or brazier.
Act – The target grinds the herbs with a pestle and sets them on fire, holding their hands over the flame while the Cultist speaks the Liturgy.
Liturgy – “Clever one! Wise spirit. Dancer in the forever masquerade, we beseech you with this offering. Guide us in our ambitions and keep us from misfortune. Shield us from the eyes of the vigilant, and protect us from consequences. Wash our luck, and let us walk free of ramification. Forever may the subtle reign.”
Act – The cultist blows out the flaming herbs and lets them cool, marking the brow of the target with the ash.
The target loses the Damned state. If they do not have the Damned state, until the next liminal space they may make a Divine Wrath roll twice and take the less severe result, so long as it is caused by desecrating a Shrine that is not dedicated to a Totem of Guile.
The Damned state does not affect this rite with Vulgarity.
- Corrected spelling of Bouquet
- Added duration to Blessed Candles, clarified a player can only be under 1 effect of a blessed candle at a time and that uses do not stack on each other. (These were also updated on individual ritual pages)
- Blessed Candle of Lurian – When next the target is downed, the target may repeat their Last Rite a second time before dying. Once blown out the effect lasts until use for the event. Characters can only be under 1 single blessed candle effect at a time.
- Blessed Candle of Melandiel -May use a Divine Dodge call against a single attack or spell. Once blown out the effect lasts until use for a liminal space. Characters can only be under 1 single blessed candle effect at a time.
- Blessed Candle of Mithriel – May use a Divine Resist against Sunder to a wielded weapon, shield, or armor. Once blown out the effect lasts until use for a liminal space. Characters can only be under 1 single blessed candle effect at a time.
- Blessed Candle of Nuraniel -When snuffed, any hidden malefic creatures in the area are revealed. Once blown out the effect must be used immediately. Characters can only be under 1 single blessed candle effect at a time.
- Blessed Candle of Sepharian – Choose one social tree and, for a single conversation from a single target, become immune to all standard calls from that target. Once blown out the effect lasts until use for an hour. Characters can only be under 1 single blessed candle effect at a time.
- Blessed Candles of Cyaniel -The target may immediately enter the Stealth condition, even if they do not have the appropriate skill such as Hide. This may be used even if they are being observed, so long as they still meet the darkness or cover requirements. Should the darkness or cover be removed, the target may be revealed. Once blown out the effect must be used immediately. Characters can only be under 1 single blessed candle effect at a time.
- Corrected Academics to require the Intellect attribute rather than typo “Intelligence”
- Trap Dodge changed from: “Once per-scene you may call a free dodge when a trap is tripped. (Protects user only.)
To: “Once per-scene you may call a free dodge when a trap is tripped, even area-of-effect traps. (Protects user only.)
- The Masses changed from: You have established yourself as a credible authority, and someone to be trusted. If someone was part of a crowd that you used Enthrall on earlier in the event you may, during the same event, convince them that a short statement is true for the event. Not what they should do about it, but that the statement is true. This power may be used once per conversation.
To: You have established yourself as a credible authority, and someone to be trusted. If someone was successfully enthralled as part of a crowd that you used Enthrall on earlier in the event you may, during the same event, convince them that a short statement is true for the event. Not what they should do about it, but that the statement is true. This power may be used once per conversation.
- Lurk changed from: Silence, stillness, and patience are the tools of masters of concealment. So skilled have you become in them that none can detect you. When you are in the “Stealth” state, so long as you do not move, you do not have to respond to Tracking claps – you may call “Stealth” against “Tracking.”
To: Silence, stillness, and patience are the tools of masters of concealment. So skilled have you become in them that none can detect you. When you are in the “Stealth” state, so long as you do not move, you do not have to respond to Tracking claps – you may call “Stealth” against all “Tracking,” even those with the divine or arcane qualifiers.
- Updated description to match Glory page “Paladins may choose to also purchase 1 level 1 Gift of their choice at the normal price, with the assumption being that they have performed those unlocks before the start of play. “
- Added “a Ranger cannot hold more essences in their body than the 3 naturally occurring ones.”
- Added “Rangers entering play may also choose to purchase 1 Spring Evocation of their choice at the normal price, with the assumption being that they have performed the requisite unlocks before the start of play. “
- Changed from: Silverthread (Treat Meek as Resolve -1 rather than -2 when worn)
To: Silverthread (Treat negative Resolve effects as 1 less, -2 is treated as -1, -1 is treated as 0, etc.)
- Changed from: Silverthread (Treat Meek as Resolve -1 rather than -2 when worn)
- Safety copied from Code of Conduct to Terms page, “Any player or staff member may call “Safety!” at any time to halt game action because of an unsafe condition. Everyone who hears the “Safety” call should repeat the call until action stops and the dangerous situation can be resolved. This sometimes can involve moving unsafe material out of the way, moving away from dangerous terrain, assisting someone with an injury, or even just taking a moment to avoid a panic attack in a chaotic situation. Again, Safety may be called in any situation for any reason if you feel there is a safety concern, or the action should temporarily cease. Once the individual who originally called “Safety” indicates the situation is resolved, the in-character action or combat may resume.”
- Changed hope/hopeful from “Hope/Hopeful– A State that a character can self resolve to refresh all of their skills without a rest.”
To: A State that a character can self resolve to refresh all of their skills without a rest or leaving the conversation. Can only be used on skills that refresh upon a rest or conversation, and not skills that refresh upon a scene, combat, or other unit of measure.
- Changed Push from: Push- The defender must move five full steps back. If the defender cannot move back any further steps safely, then they must count the remaining steps aloud as seconds before taking further action. Push breaks Grab. If using Push as part of the Brawl tree, a natural weapons boffer must be used to touch the defender to initiate the Push. To use the call Push defensively to break Grab, the user needs to have at least one hand unarmed. If using a two handed weapon at the time of a Grab, the user will need to drop their weapon in order to defensively call Push. Grab and the offensive use of Push may be either Parried or Dodged as a defense.
To: Push- The defender must move five full steps back. If the defender cannot move back any further steps safely, then they must count the remaining steps aloud as seconds before taking further action. Push breaks Grab. If using Push offensively as part of the Brawl tree, a natural weapons boffer must be used to touch the defender to initiate the Push- although this is not necessary to use Push offensively as part of the Social tree. To use the call Push defensively to break Grab, the user needs to have at least one hand unarmed but does not require a natural weapons boffer. If using a two handed weapon at the time of a Grab, the user will need to drop their weapon in order to defensively call Push. Grab and the offensive use of Push may be either Parried or Dodged as a defense.
- Under engineering changed from: “Armed traps cannot be moved more than 5 feet without automatically going off.”
- To: “Armed traps cannot be moved more than 5 ft unless it is contained within a hard chest or box and it’s a trap that goes off when said box or chest is opened. But if at any time during moving the box the trap is triggered, it is assumed to have gone off. Any trap with the tag on the outside of the box, if moved more than 5 feet, goes off. You should never throw a trap unless it is specifically allowed in the schematic design.”
- Added Rewrite: You may rewrite your character a single time within two games of creating the character, as long as said rewrite does not dramatically change or effect established storylines and plot that involve other players.
- Added Sheaf of Paper and Ink to Starting Items
- Fixed common items on starting items to match foraging items from July patch, prices on starting with common gathering materials updated from 2 salt to 5 salt
- Added “Organization leaders cannot create an organization that has the same tenet as another organization they’re a part of.”
- Under Organization Downtime Details added “For everything besides conservation and dominate, the travel risk is per action. For dominate and conservation, it’s rolled per site. So if you put 3, 5, or 8 dominate chits on a single site it’s 1 travel risk roll. If you put 3 dominate chits on 3 different sites, it’s 3 different travel rolls.” and “All actions of the same priority happen at the same time and cannot stop other actions within the same priority.”
- Changed trade partners from “You can make requests of a Nemien caravan to have an item come in next game for a certain amount of salt. (Or take a message for free) to “You can make requests of a Nemien caravan to have an item come in next game for a certain amount of salt or trade. (Or take a message for free)”
- Added: It is possible to purchase perks with XP during play, at 2 times the XP price and with proper story justification.
- Added: Purchase Perk: 2 X Perk Cost and in character story
- Under Cast off Shackles changed “The mutation must be consumed” to “The mutation must be costumed”
- Clarified transgress to require paper and ink or a writing kit: “The Cultist writes a written confession of their involvement using paper and ink or a use of a writing kit, articulated in as much detail as is possible”
- Added caption to wheel: This wheel references a Nanach, instead of Manach. Manach is the usual use.